Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Go big

Checked the trail camera tonight at the new stand. NO pictures. Put some camera helper in to see if that changes thing. Didn't kick anything out of the field on the way in. Wore the rubber boots in and that helped with the grass rash. Got out of there and headed to Jacobsburg. Backstraps in my gullet and excited for the ride. Backstraps were outstanding after sitting in the homemade rub for 1.5 days and 5 minutes per side on the grill on double hight.

GREAT ride tonight. Not a huge turnout, about 15 or so and people seemed to be showing up later than normal. Met a guy Todd who was talking about doing adventure/endurance races and stuff and wanted to go for an early warmup ride. Sounded like neat stuff. Orienteering on foor for 40 miles, riding and canoeing for 24 hrs. Sounds like exactly what I wanted to do when I rode my bike the last time. Warmup ride went about 3 miles, faster than I was used to but outstanding little ride. Did an endo that caught me by surprise when I threw a chain. Seemed to be in super slow-mo. Next think I knew I was on my ass in the weeds. Damn chain keeps going off the front rings. Maybe in need of an adjustment? Maybe it's just because i had the rear in a higher great. It's not second nature yet to throw it into a bigger front ring on downhills. I guess that will come.

Real ride kicked off as one big group. Lost the front runners after about 4 miles. Spent a lot of time in the big rings up front. What a difference. Speed seems to help out a ton on the rocks and just makes for a way better ride. Dropping front down makes it easier to transition out of downhill to uphill with way less shifting. I think the conditioning is coming into play at least partially, but there are so many little things with the bike that seem to make a huge difference.

Going over rougher terrain, the chain is making a ton of noise. I guess it is the slack wacking the frame. Maybe I need to look into one of those wraps.

It's starting to get darker earlier. Could have used a light at the end, but finished ok. Not great for riding, but starting to really get the juices flowing for deer season. Going to miss the biking, but there's several does calling my name.

Overall outstanding night. Weather was perfect, speed was up, distance was way better then the last 2 weeks and met some new people. Threw the chain off the front to the inside twice. Computer wasn't reset for most of the first warmup ride and read a hair over 12 on completion so guessing 13.5 total mileage with nearly 2 hours of pedaling.

No comments: