Sunday, September 03, 2006

Slackin and smackin

Slacking on the updates this week. Lots has happened and tomorrow is the big day. Here we go.

Shoes finally arrived on Monday, almost tipped the ups guy. Tried them on, close enough, then ripped down to Saucon Valley Bikes before they closed. Grabbed a pair of Shimano SPD pedals that were taken off of another bike, plus some socks and goo. Don't have to pay psycho's health insurance any more so happy birthday to me. Pedals went on easily at home and got the cleats fitted into the shoes and took a spin in the pitch black around the neighborhood. Practiced clipping in and out a few hundred times. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought they would be. Decided to leave them on and give them a try a Jacobsburg Wednesday.

Jacobsburg went fair. Rained like crazy the day before so the trails were real slick and I was real tentative and tight because of the shoes. First part went well, could tell the differnce the shoes made when I let them, spent a lot of time clipping in and out before obstacles etc, that will come with time. Up the powerline then to the usual downhill. Slipping all over the place and legs were like steel. Finally loosened up a little then starting going around a curve on a fairly flat section and wham. I am face down in some muck. Left shoe still clipped in but right popped out right away. Bike was parallel to the ground I think. Got the first place trophy in my short but prolific history of crashes. Turns out from the guy behind me said i hit a root and tire slid right down it. What I hit was some newly laid cinders like the kind on the tow path. Made for a fairly soft, yet dirty landing. Some scratches and what not, but not too much worse for the wear. I think these tires blow, need an upgrade after this race. Ride finished in total darkness again. Lots of work being done up there. Should be interesting in the coming months.

Wednesdays are probably pretty much done for now with hunting season around the corner but I would like to do at least 1 more. Need to get more arrows under my belt and broadheads still have to be put on and tuned.

Rode to heights on friday for bread that's about it though. Put together a bike rack during hurrican ernesto yesterday. Pretty interesting project. Have 1/2 of it cemented together, enough for tomorrow at least.

Ah tomorrow..the Donut derby! Signed up for it, figured what the hell. Getting pretty excited about it actually. Need to get up at 6:15 on my first day off in months, but hey, i can and probably will sleep in the afternoon. Supposedly going to ride with Liz and Chuck and maybe a few others. Carbed up for dinner with some penne with venison inside loin, black olives, capers, mushrooms, garlic, onions and cayenne. Came out real well, may be been better with some seafood. Plans are for a big bowl of oatmeal in the morning, get the camelback filled (is that cool in a road race?)

Sure I will be a bit of a doofus on my mtb, but who cares. Going to try and finish and have a good time. Need some icecream and off to bed. Need all the energy I can get tomorrow. Weather looks to be fantastic after a rough week of rain.

Cheers.

No comments: