Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Err, Toasted Hops?


Tonight was the night to brew a Porter. There are numerous reasons to thank the stars I am again single, but 2 boilovers on my own damn stove, now that's just fantastic. What exactly is the substance that will help me remove this carmalization??

Had 2 pots boiling at one point swapping liquid back and forth to leave headspace and cover evaporation. Worked pretty well. Note to self, do not put the lid on next time. Note to self, don't do it a second time either. I have a feeling I may have burnt something in the pot. 2 of the muslin bags came out with a dark spot on them. We will have to see how this turns out.



Finished the wort chiller while water was heating up and it worked like a CHAMP. Was down to 111 degrees at 7 minutes, though it slowed significantly after that getting to 72.

Put a mesh strainer in the top of the bucket and siphoned through it with height for aeration. Worked like a charm, ended up with 2 inches of thick head on the top. Assuming that is good.

Finally cracked open a brown ale to have while I brewed and it was freaking fantastic. I see another batch of that coming next I do believe.

Porter Recipe:
1/2lb Chocolate Malt
1/2lb Black Patent
1/2lb Crystal 60L
Steeped at 154 for 45mins

6lbs Muntons Plain light malt
1oz Bramling Cross whole leaf 7% 60 Mins
1oz Fuggles whole leaf 4% 15 minutes
1/2oz Fuggles 7 mins
1/2oz Fuggles 3 mins
1 Whirlfloc tablet at 15

Wyest 1028 London ale

OG 1.052

No comments: