Saturday, January 23, 2010

Climbing

I have been indoor climbing now since right after Thanksgiving at North Summit Climbing Gym in Wind Gap, PA. It has been nothing short of fantastic. Starting with the staff, they have been incredibly helpful and eager to share knowledge. The people who go are are just a really nice group of similar souled people that make it a pleasure without exception.

Initially it was tough. These keyboard hands with years of abuse were not up for the task and the first month was rife with forearm aches and slow moving fingers the next day. It took about a month for that cycle to subside. I learned the hard way that I need at least a 3 day break between visits or I was shot for a while. Gradually that shifted and the finger and forearm piece improved drastically and now it is about the core and flexibility.

Still have not done a lot of top rope stuff. Stamina isn't there for a lot of it, but bouldering is really fantastic. This week was the start of the bouldering league. I had some hesitation going in since it is team based, but decided to do it anyway and quite glad that I did. Curious what my thoughts will be if spring ever arrives, but for now, it was money well spent and a decision with no second guessing.

No comments: