Saturday, January 31, 2009

ESB Transfer


Transferred the ESB to secondary. It has been a week, it should have stayed in primary longer, but I have to admit, I would like to see a little fermentation in secondary for purely visual purposes. A LOT of trub came through in the end as evidenced by the picture. I wasn't going for "every last drop" either. There was basically no solid cake on the bottom. We will see, live and learn. Hopefully it compacts down and clears. Gravity is 1.018 It taste's pretty good, a bit light, but seems balanced? I think I would like the color a little more red, but it is hard to tell at this point.

Maybe Jason can help me bottle in 2 weeks when he is here.

Bought the porter book Dean recommended and read it cover to cover last night. What great insights. I think next bacth will be Porter redux. Up crystal from .5 to 1lb, chocolate from .5 to .75 and maybe back the patent down to 5oz. I may also put 1 lb of british 2 row in. Also up the partial mash temp to 157ish.

No comments: