Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Clouseau: Were you expecting one? A beaum?


Finished cleaning up around 11-ish last night and caught some shuteye. Woke up at 6 and had to check on things. Recipe said fermentation should start around 24hrs or so after pitching so I was completely unprepared for what awaited me in the brewery.

The fermenter was err..engorged and had become a beer bomb. It was foaming and making high pressure sounds as foam escaped around the rim of the lid and bucket. It looked a bit like an egg. Carefully removed the lid of the air lock which shot the airlock and a cup of foam several feet into a pile of junk that desperately needs to be cleaned. Vigorous fermentation achieved! I used a 3/8" drillbit and bored out the little pinholes in the airlock cap to let the pressure and foam come out while I was at work. It was a steady eruption. Any liquid I put in the airlock got blown right back out. Slightly worried about contamination, but at that steady pressure and foaming, little chance of something getting into the hole. I have succeeded in developing yet another hobby resulting in massive CO2 generation.

Went to Keystone as soon as they opened and got some advice and a length of hose to use as a blowoff and ran home at lunch to implement. Bubbles coming vigorously about every second through blowoff. Who needs solar? We should turn turbines with beer! Crisis averted. My house emits the glorious aroma of hops. I am digging this.

Thought for the day: What's the terrapass offset for explosive fermentation of an American Brown Ale? I wonder if they sell them for my 5 bean chili as well now that I think about it.




No comments: