Sunday, July 30, 2006

Constitutional Fortitude

I know you are not suppsed to ride when it's wet because of trail damage etc, but with the weather the last few weeks, I wouldn't get any time in the woods if it was my mantra. So tread lightly has been the name of the game of late. I had tried to find the salisbury sand pit earlier in the week to no avail. Instead found Franko Park, which didn't seem to be bike friendly and the ride was on open grassy lanes and such which I didn't really care for. A quick post to the Dirt Devils forum gave a lead on something I may be more interested in. Constitution Rd. A quick mapquest search found what I was looking for. Snapped the coordinates into the GPS friday night and saturday mornings adventure became a plan.

After a nice long ride down a lumpy road that made me smile and pat my truck on the dash, I found a parking lot that looked promising. There was only an ultra compact car with no bike rack in the lot so it looked like I would have the place to myself. Prepped the bike, remembered the computer this time and off I went into the trail with the "Walking Purchase" sign. 75 yards in and I was walking my purchase back to the lot with the rough part of the Tekkening two-step experience from the previous day fresh in my head and legs. Unrounded, soaked, slippery rocks abounded. There had to be another option. The guys who had pulled in as I was getting saddled up got a smile and made a comment like "short ride today?". I made up some lame excuse about exploring and high tailed it out of there and out onto the gravel road with my tail held low. Up the road about 100 yards there was a red blazed trail off to the left that looked more my speed so in I went.

Much better. Trail started with a fine gravel bed that gave way to a loamy trail with a slight downhill slope. Dodged a couple puddles on the edges that I would have rather pounded through thanks to my tread lightly attitude. My good deed for the day now behind me, I started ripping down the trail, thoughts of slimy rocks well behind me.

A series of logs across the trail now appeared through my foggy glasses. These were much larger than the ones I typically encountered so off I hopped. Good thing I did as my large gear would have ground across. Same thing for the next two. I guess I need to learn how to bunny hop or something if this is going to be a frequent occurance. I have enough to learn for now so no shame in saving my equipment and two stepping across. Down a bit found a zig zag bridge that had a couple inches of water in it. Using my hands and pedals I managed my way across without incident. There is an opt out to go through the creek, but tread lighly and thoughts of wet shoes so early on in the ride made the man-made option a no-brainer.

Next section was rather uneventful but fun, until I reached the pipeline. I surely was not heading uphill so down I went. Loose rocks and light orange mud were fun for a bit, then it dove a bit steeper and I did my part for the environment and chose not to add my personal fluids to nature and walked it down the rest of the way. Back on the bike and hung a right along the railroad tracks to a flat and enjoyable section. Had to duck down onto the tracks at one point due to a blowdown but rest was pretty flat and the middle ring was put into play for the first time today. Trail goes all the way down to St Lukes. Towards the end there was a lot of glass and other garbage in the trail so walked around that rather than risk a cut tire.

Return back was as expected though pretty much uphill the entire way. Tire slipped a little for no reason, i wonder how these tires stack up against what the others use? Is a tire a tire? From what I have learned so far, I am thinking not, but not going to start blaming equipment other than my pedal fiasco.

Took a different route back to the lot that was parallel to the road. Lots of rocks, but I am a bit more confident now and navigated them pretty well. This "look where you want to go and not at where you don't" concept pays off in spades when you keep your mind focused.

Back to the lot and it was the walking purchase rematch, this time, hopefully mostly pedaling the purchase instead of walking it. Against my better judgement, engaged the granny gear (back story can be found in "South Mountain Park" article) and away I went. Much better this time, perhaps a little drier, but not much. Foot down a couple times, but progressed much further in before getting off. Bashed the pedals off a few larger rocks, these things take a beating. The old plastic ones would be in shards I think after this week. Passed by a couple large ones by back pedaling to keep the offending pedal up so spirits are high from my new-found technique. These rocks have to stop soon right? Gone is the loam I muddled through for the last hour, I began to yearn for those miles at this point. Legs burning from the high cadence, but forward progress is being earned, not given. Couple more pedal bashes, a little pushing and it is time for the return trip. The heat and humidity was getting to me and the computer was reading 5 miles for the adventure so this bail was not as disconcerting as the first one.

Ride back over the same rocks was jarring, but fun. Pedal work was fun keeping them out of harms way. Legs are getting a little sore and form is probably poor as I look down to watch my pedals more than I look ahead to pick line. WHAM. That's WHAM in capital letters. If I could make it blink, I would. As I was going past a particularly large rock the front tire avoided, at a significanly more speed then I had previously allowed, the back tire hit it square. The seat caught me. Simple physics here. Seat goes skyward, shorts follow newtons law, mass times velocity = pain. I yelped like dog who just got stepped on in the dark. If I had the ability, or the inclination, to look there, I am sure there would be a mark. Enough of this, trip over. Time for some advil. The jungle known as my back yard needs some serious attention from high speed rotary steel. It is not going to be pleasant in this heat and with these rubbery legs, but at least it is an activity that does not require me sitting down.

Ride time 1:10, distance 5.3 miles.

P.S.- Try lowering the seat, it's been in my way all day and the nose is wreaking havoc on my posterior.

No comments: